European Data Incubator would like to express a big thank you to all of the 277 startups and SMEs that expressed interest and the 121 teams that formally applied to take part in the EDI incubation programme 2018. We were impressed by the quality of your solutions to the real world challenges set by companies like Volkswagen Navarra, RAAC and Sonae.
Who applied to take part?
The 10 top countries of applicants were Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, UK, Greece, Romania, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Serbia. The number one applicant country, Spain, counted for 35% of the applications.
The real world challenges with most applicants were:
- Supply chain optimisation (proposed by company Sonae)
- System for detection of anomalies in smart meters (proposed by Elektro Ljubljana)
- Discovery of cross-sector related data (proposed by EDI)
- Improving the road safety in Barcelona (proposed by RACC)
- Predictive maintenance models for industrial robots in body shop (VW Navarra)
The majority of applicants stated that they had either a fully functional product (20%), a prototype (23%) or an MVP (23%):
What happens now?
The selected 30 startups and SMEs will begin the first EXPLORE stage of incubation, by travelling to Berlin (image above!) to take part in a special Datathon, 17 and 18 October 2018.
In this EXPLORE phase, the startups will receive mentoring, technical support and €5k equity free.
Throughout the whole incubation programme, the selected startups have the chance to access up to €100k equity free funding while boosting their growth.